Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Course Recap for April 8


Selznick's The Invention of Hugo Cabret
Today at the beginning of class you took a short quiz over Hugo. After discussing some of your initial impressions and experiences with the text, I asked you to work in pairs on a two part writing exercise related to the text. You can access that handout HERE. We then discussed each group's questions and responses.
On Thursday, we will begin watching the film version of the text. Bring a pen and notebook to class so that you can take notes on what you find interesting. We will finish up the film next Tuesday and begin our discussion of the film and Clement and Long's article.

Course Evaluations
Each of you should have received an email about course evaluations from the university yesterday. As I mentioned in class, course evaluations are extremely important to helping me improve my teaching and the course. I take your responses seriously and use your feedback to improve the course. Additionally, the evaluations are viewed by the department and assist me in evaluating my own teaching performance. Please fill out your course evaluation online (email me if you cannot figure out how to get to it) by following the ICES link on GoWMU (on the left hand side of the page). Please be as specific as possible in your responses and know that these evaluations have no bearing on your grade. Your responses are anonymous, and I do not receive your comments until after grades are posted. I greatly appreciate your participation... and if you all complete them before next Tuesday's class, I will bring treats for the final!

Homework

  • Read ahead => Jennifer Clement and Christian B. Long's "Hugo, Remediation, and the Cinema of Attractions, or, The Adaptation of Hugo Cabret"

No comments:

Post a Comment