Thursday, January 9, 2014

Course Recap for January 9

Introduction to the Course
My Office: Sprau 822
Today at the beginning of class I asked you to each fill out a student diagnostic form. This document will help me to get to know you better and assess where your at in terms of your reading and writing level. We then went around the room and did introductions. I suggested that you swap emails with a partner. 
We spent a significant amount of time going over the syllabus, schedule of assignments, student grade worksheet, the course blog, and the expectations for the course in general. You can access all of the documents I handed out in class on the right hand side of the blog under "Course Documents." The most important thing you should take away from our discussion today is that I strongly value your presence and participation in EVERY class. This course is reading and writing intensive; we will read at least one primary and one critical text per week, and it is my expectation that you will read each primary text several times and mark up each critical text. I asked each of you to sign your syllabus contract as evidence that you have read and understood the course policies. If you have questions, please feel free to see me after class or during my office hours.

The Early History of Children's Literature
I then gave a short presentation on the early history of children's literature. You can access that presentation HERE. I also gave you a Reading Strategies handout, which you can access HERE. Be sure to spend an adequate amount of time reading the assigned texts for next class, and bring the readings to class; you will have a quiz.

Homework
  • Buy books
  • Read Little Red Riding Hood variants (Perralut's "Little Red Riding Hood," Grimm's "Little Red Cap," and Millien's "The Grandmother"
  • Read Young's Lon Po Po

No comments:

Post a Comment