Thursday, February 20, 2014

Course Recap for February 20

Creech's Love That Dog
Today at the beginning of class you took a short reading quiz. I then asked you about your initial impressions and thoughts concerning Creech's verse novel and poetry in general. I gave a short presentation on the history and shifts in children's poetry. You can access that presentation HERE. I also provided you with several terms and elements of poetic craft to use when discussing poetry. You can access that handout HERE. I noted several examples of the elements of poetic craft in the presentation. I then asked you to work in pairs to complete a writing exercise related to Creech's text. You can access that document HERE. I then asked for volunteers to share their work.

Paper 1 Back
At the end of class, I returned your graded Paper 1. Most of you did well, but many of you struggled. I believe this is for one of two reasons: you either did not read the assignment sheet or the grading rubric detailing the instructions OR you did not edit and proof your paper before you handed it in. Be sure to do these things! If you did read the assignment sheet and proof your paper before handing it in, and you still struggled, I suggest you take your next paper to the writing center. As always, please feel free to contact me with questions, but be sure to wait 24 hours before contacting me about your paper. On the back of your paper I noted your current course grade. Keep in mind that this grade includes 44 attendance points, 55 quiz points, 100 exam points, 100 paper points, and between 0-90 blog post points. Depending on how many blog posts you have completed, your grade is based on 20-40% of the course work so far.

Homework
  • Read Janeczko's A Poke in the I and Thomas' "A Defense of Visual Poetry for Children"
  • Start studying for the midtem

No comments:

Post a Comment